This page is currently under construction. Stay tuned.
Why Exercising is Challenging for People with POTS
This is Sarah, a girl I met on a POTS Support Group. A few years ago her cardiologist gave her a heart monitor to record her heart activity during exercising.
Ways to Stay Safe:
- Always talk to your doctor before starting a new exercise program
- Have a workout buddy
- Consider letting the lifeguard or gym staff know that you have a fainting disorder. Let them know what you want them to do if you pass out and aren't responsive.
- Drink drink drink! Consider electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade, coconut water, etc.
- Salt salt salt!
- Wear athletic compression stockings
- Avoid exercises that involve changing positions (eg. no burpees)
- Choose sitting exercises (eg. bike, rowing machine)